Friday, September 7, 2012

It'd be covered by your shirt, but not your HMO

Caleb loves the belly button song sung by the boyz in the sink. If you are anyone you know exactly what song that is and which group of gourds sings this hit.
This song has taken on new meaning lately. And I shall now tell you why in way more detail than probably anyone wants to know.
August 27th Micah came home from school with strep throat. I ran around trying to get him into the last available appointment so that he only had to miss one day of school, because lets face it, less fighting has been a rather welcome event since school started, and I didn't want to disrupt that for too long.
After our fast and greasy burgers we gobbled at dinner time, my husband complained about a stomach ache. The man lives on grease alone, so a stomach ache really isn't that shocking. I'm rather bitter that his diet dripping with grease and deep fried everything has forgotten to raise his cholesterol higher than mine and I eat a tad bit healthier!
After being up all night with pain, he went to his doctor who decided that even though it could possibly be appendecitis, indigestion was much easier to treat. At this point I will pause and say, your welcome world for the hypochondriac that is me. I take full responsibility for the crazy, leave-his-socks-on-the-floor guy that is Kevin still being around to leave his socks on the floor. I insisted he go in. Just in case.
I waved as he headed to the ER on his own. People, don't judge, I have 4 boys, one who had strep and one who was finally taking a nap and you don't mess with nap time!! So when it became apparent that he was going to visiting the operating room, I called the babysitter and filled a backpack with chocolate (for me), and clean underwear(for him)  and went to be by his dressed-in-an-open-backed-gown side.
I sat in a waiting room with a large tv playing a medical drama, and listening to a woman loudly tell the story of how her friend almost died from her ruptured appendix. She left, the show changed to CSI or something, and it got dark. Then the doctor came out. I was sure he was going to tell me that something bad happened, like maybe he accidently cut the wrong thing out!
Thankfully he didn't and my husband was sitting in a recovery room. He told me that while they were in there they had repaired a small hernia. When I was finally allowed back to see him, he was hurting and had to pee, but grouchy about the fact that he had to PAY someone to TAKE something from him.
He spent the next few days on Percocet, taking advantage of being waited on hand and foot, and then his belly button bandage came off.
I wish so bad I would have pictures, but he has threatened to leave me if I take any. Before surgery, Kevin had no belly button. It was just a little dent. He hates belly buttons and I kind of enjoy getting a rise out of him by touching it. After surgery he has a very defined deep belly button! Where is the belly button that I married? What did they do in that OR??? Sometimes I wake up at night and freak out, wondering who the guy in bed with me is, and then I remember the surgery.
Belly button Uh Uh!

No comments:

Post a Comment