Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Next Chapter


10 years ago this coming May, I married my best friend. We honeymooned in Daytona Beach Florida. We found it funny that so many people asked us if we were on our honeymoon. On the shuttle back to the airport as we were leaving FL, a businessman was the only other occupant of the shuttle. He had his briefcase next to him and was reading a very important looking business magazine. After a minute he looked up and nodded at Kevin. "On your honeymoon?" Kevin acknowledged that indeed we were and because we were sure at this point that the answer would be because we looked so in love, he asked him. "How did you know?"
The man glanced up once again from his magazine and nodded towards our entwined fingers. "Your rings are still shiny."
Well, talk about not what we thought we were going to hear! I have looked back at our wedding picture a few times recently and after seeing ten years of yard work, dirty diapers, mountains of dirty dishes and dirty clothes, and our rings aren't as shiny as they were then. Go figure!
I told my husband at the beginning of this year, that we had to do something special for our anniversary this year as its going to be our 10th! (Keep in mind people, that I got married when I was 15, so I am really not that old yet!!)
Well we decided to take Kevin's Compassion anniversary trip to the Dominican Republic and what an amazing trip it was! We learned a lot, to say the least, about faith on that trip! We came home and I started thinking, well we still need to make the actual anniversary of our 10 turbulent, I mean blissful years together special in some way. So I started thinking and going through magazines and dreaming about what we could do to make this day 10th anniversary worthy.
And then one day while Kevin was on a business trip in Florida and I was expressing my desire to do something different on our anniversary he mentioned a possible activity for that day. "Would moving to Florida be different enough?"
I'm sorry what?? I wasn't really thinking of major life altering things like moving, but that would certainly be different.
It turns out his old boss had approached him about moving to Florida to create an accounting department for his growing business. In less than two weeks from that initial meeting, Kevin and I flew out to see the sights and get a feel for the area. 
We had a rental car; A brand new Corvette. Kevin was feeling pretty good about FL!
I found Kohl's and I felt a little better, and as a plus I didn't see any snakes!

We got back last night from that little adventure; holding 2 year lease papers on a house, and enrollment packets for our boys for the school there.
There is so much more to say here about how God has made it very clear to us that this is the correct direction he wants our family to take at this point, but I don't have the mental capacity or probably even the blog space to go into it all right here. We have known from the start of this year that he is getting us ready for unknown adventures that require a unity between the two of us, and a strong faith in God to lead us. It hasn't always been easy, but God has demonstrated in such amazing ways his immeasurable love for us, and His incredible faithfulness! We have come to know God in a whole new and astounding way this year already, and its only March!!
So at this point  many of you may feel rather indignant that you are learning about this in a blog, but believe me when I tell you I couldn't even begin to imagine calling each one of you and crying through a rehearsed speech in which I tell you I am moving over 36 hours away. Everyone who is part of my Colorado life is so special to me, and I can't even begin thinking about not having you a few minutes away; not meeting you for a Chick-fil-a date, not swapping babysitting with you, or not running into you in the church hall way.
I do, however, hope that all of you will take advantage of the fact that you now have friends living close to Disney World and would love to have you stay with them!!
Our current plans include Kevin going to Fl at the beginning of April and the boys and I will follow at the end of May when school is finished. Until then, lets party people!!

2 comments:

  1. I am really happy for you, Shelly. I think this will be a great new adventure for your family!
    -Meghann-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - sad news for us, good news for you! And yes, we will probably visit one day :).

    ReplyDelete